Dangerous Gases Beware! MIT Creates a Travel Sized Toxin Detector

In 2014, roughly 6.7 out of every 1,000 people were harmed by some sort of dangerous chemical in the United States alone. While this may not appear to be an opposing sum, a little math inevitably reveals that this resulted in 2.2 million exposures to poisonous gas. While a superfluous amount of these deaths claimed children as their victims, other age groups, such as teenagers and young adults were the second most susceptible to toxic gas attacks.

In order to find a solution to this toxic issue, scientists at MIT have created a sensor highly sensitive to dangerous amounts of toxic gasses, as well as being able to communicate with you through wireless smart devices.

Originally intended for soldiers since their standard equipment often lacks toxin detectors, the sensor is fitted with carbon nanotubes that act as a form of insulation. The molecular structure of these tubes break down when in contact with toxic gasses, such as carbon monoxide. Upon breaking apart, the nanotubes are able to physically come in contact with one another, creating conduction, which then allows a signal to be sent to your smart device.

For added insurance, the signal requires no internet connection, insuring the user safety wherever he or she may go. Although the product hasn’t passed the final stages yet, the company C2Sense is preparing it for commercial use, with the expected release date looming around an unspecified date sometime next year.

Be the first to comment on "Dangerous Gases Beware! MIT Creates a Travel Sized Toxin Detector"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.